Monday, April 25, 2011

Semana Santa(Holy Week) Part 2 - Desfile/Grilled Cheese

Wow, This weekend was awesome, and it reminds me, why I decided to take a trip like this.

First off, Thursday I cooked grilled cheese for my host-family, they all claimed to have tried bread, with melted cheese... Yea in the microwave. I told them that my grilled cheese was 100x better, they all claimed it was 'rico' delicious, but I didn't buy it and when my host-grandma's brother/sister(I don't know I didn't ask) came to Arica from Tacna, Peru(only a 45 minute bus ride north) I asked if I should cook them some grilled cheese.  As this was my test to see if in fact if it really was, 'rico' enough to serve to guests in the house.  Apparently it was and here is a photo of them before trying the grilled cheese...

They also liked it.  I wish I could remember names better, however, this occurred on Thursday and it has been a lonnng weekend.

Thursday:

Colegio(School) de San Marcos has a desfile(parade), on Good Thrusday.  They do in fact carry a cross. I'll explain more on each of the photos.  However, I was wrong and it is only about a 2 hour ordeal.. The students just go around the block and stop 12 times, for the 14 stations of the cross, with the first and last being at the school.


Video of the beginning of the desfile/procession of the stations of the cross.

The cute little guys were here for the beginning, however, they don't walk with everyone, because of the oh so hot sun.

During the procession, at each 'sign of the cross'/stop, they play music, here is a video for the feeling.
People actually play the music(two people play guitars and sing in the bus in front of procession).

Here is the truck behind the bus, blasting music away.

Here is a view of how long the procession was.

The students starting their journey with the cross.

At each stop, a different class holds up the cross, usually guys, while the girls read about the station of the cross after they play the guitar music.

Action shot of a few band members playing the war drums for us.

Being in the band here in Chile, is a popular thing to do, as the school doesn't have sport sponsored teams.

Some of the students also dress up for this.

Un otro foto de los alumos.

I wanted to show the converse shoes, I don't why, but I will never wear them...

I'll end this post on that, I did a lot this weekend and must plan classes rather than upload photos and write all night. So I'll post more during the week. My parents have told me, that most of the family is reading this blog on a daily basis, and they said everyone is liking it so far. (sweet deal!)

No comments:

Post a Comment