Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Not too sweet...

So last night I went out with Tearrie(like the letters T, R, E), another volunteer I met in Santiago, she is here in Arica, but at a different school. We went out for dinner, because we don't ever leave the house during the week, as we get homemade cenas(almuerzo del noche, as my host-mom calls it aka 'dinner'), every night.  So she is a vegetarian, so my host-dad and I looked for vegetarian restaurants last night on the web, because I don't think you can be Chilean and not eat meat, or bread for the matter.  Anyway the place we found was called Goviendo, but apparently they are only open for lunch and when we walked into this place they were doing some kind of yoga/indian thing(like from india).  We bolted as soon as we saw it wasn't a dinner restaurant, those people had paint on their faces and were kinda scary.

We ended up going to a pizza place, I didn't take any pictures of the pizza, but it was quite horrible.  They don't put sauce on their pizzas... Anyway I might be spoiled living in chicago, because I have never had pizza in other cities close to the pizza at home.  Anyway, I basically told her some of the funny/different stories you may have read on here.  After we went to a restaurant we should have went to in the first place, because she wanted some postres(dessert). I had a beer, while she had cheesecake, however I did remember taking a picture:

Tearrie with her pleasant surprise of a not super sweet cheesecake.
As everything here is overtly topped in sugar.

I have never felt so happy than this morning. I got to take a hot shower. Usually I am sweating all day and feel like taking a cold shower, I also am only in there for about 3-6 minutes.  Today however, I had 2 hours before my class and buzzed my hair and said 'i'm going to take a hot shower'.  Oh My God! It was the greatest feeling ever, I totally forgot about this wonderful feeling. I was seriously smiling from ear to ear to myself and felt like dancing 'in the rain' and by rain I mean warm water.

So one more thing to add.  I have not been around 6 year olds too often, well no more than seeing my little cousins at a family party. So I don't know this is normal, but I don't think so.  However, since I did not have class on Monday, I came downstairs bored, to find Matias(host-brother) has come home from school.  He usually just watches Tv like any normal kid.  But this is where it gets interesting.  My host-grandma comes along, and completely manhandles him.  I mean first takes a tray away with food for him(he gets to watch TV while eating, in fact my entire host family does like its a requirement).  Grabs a stool sets it down in front of him, unties his shoes. He doesn't know how to, and I know I learned how to tie my shoes when I was six, and I was a late lazy bloomer.  He is turning 7 on may 5th too.  Anyway, my host-grandma takes his socks off and put them back on him, I don't know why, but he is sitting there like a noodle, and she changes his school shirt and puts another one on him, while his eyes don't ever leave the TV.

I can see why 30 year old men don't leave their parents' houses. Especially when most have 'nannies' as they call them, but they are maids.  Tearrie's family has one that comes only twice a week, while mine lives with us... I know it's the difference in culture and don't mean to be harsh, I guess we are just more independent.

Can't they come up with something better in Spanish? haha

2 comments:

  1. matttttttt!!!!! whattup dawg it's jim. I'm in indonesia teaching and i just got an email from TEFL with your blog on it!! Crazy man. How's chile??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hot, its really good man, i;m gunna send you a fb message soon dude...

    ReplyDelete