Thursday, April 7, 2011

Jwalking and Sleeping with Blondes and Clases

Some things that are very frustrating while sleeping include:  Stray dogs barking uncontrollably all night. And Car alarms. So the streets are small, and people like to bump other cars while parallel parking, so they go off all day/night.  It's just really annoying.

So even the 1st graders who are 6 years old know how to write in cursive.  I was like that crazy we don't learn how until I think like 4-6 grade. Anyway, its pretty smart why they learn in cursive.  I guess kids with dyslexia can read cursive, but sometimes not read 'print'. I don't know if it helps, because your just delaying the fact that you have dyslexia, and aren't all text books in 'print'?

Another thing, which isn't a big deal, but Chilean's grading scale is 1-7. 7, being the best. And in 8th grade, before moving onto 9th, they mix the students according to their GPA.  Like I think its 6.0 is the cut off between high class/low class. 5.9 and lower go to one, while the rest go to the 'higher' class.  That doesn't mean anything in English class, because obviously some students will like languages more than say math and science.  By the way, they are taught 'maths' with an s, not math, for a subject.  I think its british... Also they only use graph paper here. I love it, I love using graph paper.

Also, everyone loves to J-walk.  It's awesome, reminds me of downtown chicago.  Since everyone loves to J-walk drivers are very cautious of people and will usually stop on a dime for people crossing the street(at times).  Another odd thing here, is that no one drives automatic cars, they all drive stick(manuel).  So while people are stopped at lights/stop signs, most of the cars go backwards a bit before moving forward.

...A backstory from last post.  Martina's birthday wasn't a huge huge celebration. We had home made completos(hot dogs), yes with avocado sauce and mayo.  Martina received a large doll, which is white and blonde. It says things in spanish, like: 'I like to dance', and 'I love you mama'.  And she also received some clothes and a disney barbie.  Also, blonde and white. But to continue with the party, we had a cake from the bakery with white frosting and peaches in the middle, it was tall. About 12 inches in diameter, and about 7-8 inches tall.  I also bought a big candy bar, because I don't think we have chocolate in the house.  Chilean's love sweet things.  After that, it wasn't too exciting, some uncles and aunts called and spoke to Martina, but she turned 3, so Its tough to understand what she is saying/carry on a conversation.

With that side note of white/blondes: A new show comes out today on TV in Chile, called Vampiras.  And yes I can understand why, vampires are huge everywhere right now.  Even Twilight is big here.  But there are 3 main characters, cheerleaders mind you. All gorgeous, except 2 of them are blonde...

I have never met a real Chilean blonde, to tell you the truth I don't know if they exist. (ok, maybe one, and it's rare)  However, it seems that my society has wielded its power here, saying that to be beautiful/famous, you must be more like a gringa(white person, blue/green eyes, blonde).  I just don't understand why they do not embrace who they are what they look like(hell, I love brunettes).  Perhaps after 100 years, they will have a chilean heritage day or a heritage month, like we do in the US for so many things...

Also, they do a lot of slapstick comedy, think of mexican shows.  However, these blondes are always big breasted.  I mean under the knife big breasted.  I guess there really isn't a problem with that, besides the fact of self-confidence.  But I don't see very unique things coming from Chile in the sense of TV.  Everything is a take off of popular shows we have here. For example two shows that are direct take offs are Factor X, which is American Idol.  However they do show American Idol here, but it's not dubbed, its CC'ed.  Another is Año 0, which means: Year zero.  This show is a reality Tv show with a few less than famous people put in a house, and they have to do missions.  Think Real World/Road Rules MTV programs. And if you don't know those, Think Survivor, but in a house...

With my rant on their TV, most of the chileans do watch it, but it seems like it doesn't have a profound effect on them, as I think TV does in the US...  Think 'Jersey Shore'..

No comments:

Post a Comment