Sunday, May 1, 2011

Police and la marca de los chileanos, McDonalds

Green and white:

The police here in chile have one major difference than in the US. In the US we have state troopers, county troopers, city/town/village police. For instance, traveling from Tinley Park to Joliet, I will be able to see: Tinley Park police officers, once I get to I-80, I may see Illinois state troopers(looking for speeders), Will County police officers doing whatever they do(ie usually for towns without a police department, ie Homer Glen). and then once I get into Joliet, obviously some Joliet cops. And mind you all have different colors, (joliet's white, Tinley's dark blue, State/county are white) except those speed catchers with hidden lights and look like normal cars...

In chile, there are no variations of color, only green and white.  And they are not called 'La policia', they are called "Carabiñeros".  I like the fact that no matter where you go in chile, the carabiñeros, are the same color and easy to spot.  And I have asked, but it seems like the police will work together without problems, as seen in many cop shows, because of the different counties, city/towns, and states there could be some friction...

Also the Detectives are not part of the carabiñeros, they have their own cars and can dress formally(like in the US).  They are called PDI, Policia de Investigaciones.  They drive white cars with blue lettering. I have not been looking for them, but I think I've only seen one or two here in Arica.

Took this for their logo, this was on a back of a van.

Carabiñeros that stopped traffic for us on our Desfile.

Pickup as a paddy wagon.

Squad Car.

Stole this from google images, this is what a PDI SUV looks like.

Mark of the Chileans:

I found this out the past weekend while one of my students/family friends was wearing a tank top.  She had a scar about the size of a nickel/dime on her left upper arm.  I asked 'Que Pasó', what happened? She shrugged and said it was for the vacunos(aka vaccines).  After discovering it once, I later found that everyone gets the vaccine with a scar, and I think they purposely do this to see if people have had the vaccine yet, but no one has given me definite answers on that.

My buddy Rodrigo was nice enough to let me take a photo of 'la marca de los chileanos'.

McDonalds:

First time eating Mcdonalds in a foreign country.  Fries were the same if not a little worse, they seemed not to had the added 'meat' flavor.  Big Mac sauce was a little different and the bread was a tad different as well.  And the coke here isn't the same at home, McDonalds does something to the coke at home... Overall, I've had better and worse at McDonalds in the states and it is more or less the same.  The meal was a medium, so people help me at home, but I think the price is around 5.39 in Joliet/Tinley. The price here was 3140 pesos While looking today the exchange rate was 460 something. So $ 6.82, f*ck you McDonalds. Tearrie and I went to a restaurant earlier this week, got a burger, with fried onions, and an a fried egg, with fries and two beers, it was around $6 for the burger and $5 for both beers.  I don't think I'll head back McDonalds anytime soon...

Good business, if anything, to have basically the same experience all over the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment