Thursday, May 5, 2011

Chilean Mass

So this is my second chilean mass that I have attended.  And well, this one was completely different from the last in a couple aspects.  Number one, there is no crucifixion at the front of the church, but a statue of Mary, the mother of Jesus.  I always knew Latinos had a special liking towards her, but correct me if I am wrong(Yea that means you theology teacher) Mary is not as important as Jesus in anyway shape or form.  Granted she is important, but not equal to Jesus.

Number two, about a third of the church went up for communion.  I was waiting for my 'host-family' to go up, yet they just stopped serving when no one went up there. I was like wtf?! This is my favorite part about mass, receiving the body and blood of christ and praying.  As I don't pray everyday I make up for during the 5-10 minutes I have at this time.

Number three, There was no homily, I mean maybe I missed it, my spanish isn't perfect, but the mass was a half hour long(which would have been my reason number 4).  So there could not have been a homily, and they didn't just run through the mass, they sprinted! Haha, most of the things I'm used to like the traditions of the priest walking from the outside of the church to the inside to his slow moving part where be converts the bread into the body was just well... rushed.

Maybe it was a special mass, but I don't know.  The mass we had at the school was a more traditional mass, or traditional in my sense of the word...

No comments:

Post a Comment