Thursday, March 31, 2011

Scare, and other stuff

Before I begin about this 'Scare' I will have to say one of the english teachers that teaches the 1st and 2nd graders asked me to come in 2 days ago to say hello to the little guys.  They are awesome. I always thought I hated kids, but these mollusks are funny.  Super cute too, only bad thing is I cannot understand a word they say. They learn english basically through songs. So they are getting their colors and numbers down.  Most are already pretty good, but a few have  trouble writing.  They know what the answer it, they just cannot write it down..

So last night we had parent teacher conferences, but not like the ones we have a home.  Basically its for the teacher to talk to the parents about the school and for the parents to meet the teacher.  My co-teacher is like their 'homeroom teacher'.  Anyway, things were going well, until a brutal argument came up about a class trip.  Apparently this happened in another classrooms as well.  It was all in spanish and I knew they were arguing about money and some extracurricular activities, but I didn't know it was about the 'class trip'.   Apparently one of the student's parents plan the entire trip and go with the students.  Well apparently no one likes this man and about 6 different parents were arguing with him about prices.  Apparently it was working, because he was lowering the price.  However before any of this occurred, Christopher(my co/head teacher) did his spiel about the class  and the school, and I was introduced sometime in there.  This took all but 15 minutes at most.  The argument about the money ensued for another hour and a half.

After, my Christopher asked if I wanted to grab a drink, well after dealing with that, it was a definite 'yes'.  But here is where the scare comes in.  I was in a hurry to get back to school for this 'parent conference' and forgot my key.  So a few drinks turned into more, and after getting to know christopher a little better, I like him even more. Anyway I was locked out last night and we both slept in the hostel across the street, I got yelled at by my host-uncle and host-grandma this morning, but I have learned my lesson and I won't leave the house without the key anymore...

On a good note, this 'homeroom' class is awesome, they all speak english pretty well and invited me to a Asado, or barbecue next saturday. They are really really nice. And I have learned from 1st through 8th grade, at my school anyway, the students are in the same 40(around) person 'class'.  Not the actual room, but the same 40 people.  This is really odd, and you would think the Chileans would be less friendly, but obviously this is not the case.

Chilean Spanish has not gotten easier, because I don't use it all day, everyday.  In school, I basically only use English, obviously because I am an English teacher...

In other news I finally did not get lost on my way to or from school today.  This is the first time since I've been here.  So once I get more familiar I'll start exploring and taking some more photos.  Also, I finally heard back from the ministry of education about when the other half of my luggage is being sent here. It was going to be super expensive on the flight here, as I was adding another bag to the list and was overweight. So, I have heard it will be leaving either tomorrow or the day after and that means, it will day about 30 hours to travel here from Santiago....

ps.  I don't have enough underwear or socks to last me the week... ;P Apparently I will be doing laundry more often than I had anticipated(never pack after a few beers)

No comments:

Post a Comment