Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Arica, 1st impressions

Should have taken more pictures... Arrived in Arica greeted by my host family. Coolest, friendliest people ever... Consists of Barrio, my host-dad, Claudia, my host-mom, Matias, my 6 year old host brother, and a host-sister Martina, or as I refer to as Diablita(little devil), a 3 year old with more energy than I could have in a lifetime.  She never stops running, screaming, and speaking better spanish than me.  I can never understand a word that comes out of her mouth, but 'HOLA'.  She is a absolute cutie-pie nonetheless. Anyway to top it off I have a host-uncle Juan, and the Grandparents stay here too, also the maid's room is next to mine.  You may think this is cramped, but we all have our own room, except for the couples.  Barrio works for the ministry of education here in Arica and does something with information and computers.  Claudia teaches at my school, and I believe Juan is a taxi driver.

After getting home we ate some spaghetti and chicken, and after everyone took a nap.  I woke up a little early I guess and Juan and I went to the Feria, which takes over the big street here in Arica and becomes like a huge thrift/flea market(I wish I took a picture).  You can seriously buy anything, this occurs every sunday, so perhaps i'll get a snapshot next weekend.  Came back home hung out with Mateias for a little bit, he is the man(he asked me today if nerds get picked on by football players all the time in the US).  After unpacking I was told we were leaving, had no idea where...

I then found myself here, this is what Arica looks like at night. 


I took this picture the next day, but this is on the other side of the 'Morro de Arica'.
That big statue up there is a touchdown Jesus, and he is about 4 stories tall.

All in all, I am happy with the host-family and depending on the teaching may stay in Arica for longer(could stay until November)

PS. I try and get some pictures of the host family later on...

No comments:

Post a Comment