Monday, June 6, 2011

Circo China de Pekin, tsunami drill

The Chinese circus of Pekin.

So my host family and I went to the circus last week.  This was my first circus I have ever been to in my life.  My host parents didn't believe me, and my host brother didn't believe me either.  He was equally surprised that I have never been to Disneyworld or Disneyland.  And since I have never been, I do not ever want to go.
 


They did all types of stuff. Climbing up poles, jumping through hoops, and as you can see having about 10 people on a bicycle. They even had one where the girls were spinning bowls on sticks, but I don´t think that was real, these girls had 3 sticks/bowls in each hand and were doing some acrobatic things... Anyway there was a payaso or clown between the sets and he was pretty funny, I think the most entertaining part of the show besides this lady:




Crazy right? I can´t even spin a basketball on my finger and this lady can spin a table on her foot. Overall it was quite fun.

Tsunami/earthquake Drill:

Last wednesday we had a city wide tsunami drill, but I think it dealt mostly with the schools, basically there was a loud alarm, and we all got to higher ground, some people/teacher/students were responsible for the little ones, they were cute. All of them had to tie their hands to one rope fo they didn't get seperated. Wish I brought my camera, but I was moving as soon as the drill started. I have never been in an earthquake, but apparently your supposed to get in/under a doorway.  Depending on how big the earthquake is, depends on how my time you have to get to higher ground for the earthquake. 8-9 on the ritcher scale would give you like 3-10 minutes, littler ones like 10-15 minutes.  That information comes from one of my fellow teachers, so its validity can be closer to word of mouth... Also all the ariqueños(Aricans) are waiting for a large earthquake soon, as they have not had one in awhile, by the way this program for the drills is only 2 years old.


My schol is in the middle of the coast about midway up. My house is near the centro/downtown which is to the right. The blue lines get awful close to both, but doesn't reach it.  This is a map of a larger scale Tsunami, or so I was told.

There was a body boarding competition here awhile ago, didn't make it to it. Rodrigo a son of a good friend of my host dad is big into it.  He was showing me all the different boarders online.  I guess it's like a world type sport, it really popular here in Arica.  I didn't se the competition, but saw the stands and all the stuff set up for it on that friday night.  We went to go drink at the peninsula/artifical island that night...

No comments:

Post a Comment